Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My Birthday

I'm almost a month late in posting about my 30th birthday, but it was a wonderful celebration and I want to get it down for posterity. The day before my birthday, we went with my family to the Western Idaho Fair.  The petting zoo was a highlight once again.

After the fair, we went out to dinner and then got some delicious ice cream at SubZero.  When we got home from the fun we found that our house had been heart attacked by the Young Women.  They had left me heart-shaped love notes and a plate of yummy cream cheese pumpkin bars on the doorstep.  The next day, my actual birthday (Aug. 21), Dave continued his annual tradition of sneaking into his Mariachi outfit in the early hours of the morning and tiptoeing outside so he can throw things at our window until I wake up.  Then he serenades me with "Las Mananitas" and then cooks me breakfast.  This morning it was french toast. Yum!  Later in the morning, I went out shopping for maternity clothes with my mom and sisters and then we all went out to lunch.  That evening we had pizza rolls and root beer floats and then saw The Hunger Games at the movie theater.

For my birthday I asked for rocking chairs for the front porch and I now have two beautiful white rocking chairs to fill up the space that used to be empty out there.  I will post pictures soon!  Dave also got me an ice cream cake (which I had also requested!).

The weekend before my birthday, we invited our backyard neighbors and friends to go out to dinner at Tucanos with us and then go Latin dancing.  It was a blast!  I wish I had taken more pictures of our friends the Howells, especially when Bryan twirled Lorraine over his shoulder on the dance floor!  We are so lucky to have such awesome neighbors.
Also, the week before my birthday, I went to a beautiful lunch hosted by one of my best friends, Cheryl Campbell. It wasn't in honor of my birthday, but it was festive and fun and I want to remember it so I'll include it in this post.  Cheryl made a table out of an old door and pallets and served a lunch with several dishes using produce from her amazing garden.  Every time I am with Cheryl I am motivated to create more and do more--Cheryl inspires me.  It was great to catch up with friends.  We just sat around talking...and eating!...for about three hours.
My wonderful parents-in-law, Robyn and Pete, also remembered my birthday and sent me a raised fire pit so that we can have fires in our backyard!  I am so excited for mallow roasting and Argentine asados!  They also gave me a Home Depot gift card which we are using to buy some supplies for a patio to house the fire pit and some patio chairs.  It will be a fun little corner.  I'll post pictures when it is done!

Also, a shout out to Jenny (if she reads this!) for the beautiful Australian necklace.  I love it and have already worn it a number of times.  Thank you for bringing back parts of the world to those of us who don't get a chance to travel it as extensively as you do! :)



1 comment:

  1. Um, is there any circumstance under which Ryan and I might be able to view this Mariachi outfit of Dave's? No, I mean, Dave IN his Mariachi outfit??? Because wow, that would be amazing.

    What a grand way to ring in the next decade. Happy 30th, pal. :)

    B

    ReplyDelete