Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Utah Trip, Continued

 So after our lovely stay in Salt Lake, we traveled down to Cedar City, Utah to go to the Shakespeare Festival with the Grange Family.

This is an annual tradition and one that our family has come to thoroughly enjoy.  The schedule of events is usually very consistent. 
1. We always eat at The Pizza Factory, The Garden House, and Milt's Steakhouse
2. We always hike up the canyon close to our hotel.
3. We always hike the Kanaraville Falls slot canyon hike.






We weren't sure if we were going to be able to make it up the ladders this year with Gabe in a backpack, but some blessed soul improved the ladders to make them safer and Gabe was a trooper. In fact, he LOVED the whole hike- especially the ladders. This is an AMAZING hike that is well worth your time if you're in the area.


We also like to take in the Cedar City 4th of July Parade.  This year the cousins were all very festive with red and white shirts thanks to Grandma Grange and balloons thanks to Grandma Glojo!

Gabe LOVED the parade.  None of these pictures accurately reflect his enthusiasm.

He especially loved to manically fling the balloons around, although I also couldn't capture it.

You get an idea of his craziness, though, by looking at his face and Aunt Brennan's.
Afterwards, we went back to the hotel and lit sparklers and played ball.  Benton and Gabe couldn't get enough of the Pop-Its, but I forgot to get any pictures.








The highlight of this year's trip for me was seeing Les Miserables performed.  This is my favorite Broadway show and I had decided to read the book prior to watching the performance.  The last week before the play, I still had half the book left, but Dave put in extra babysitting time and I made a mad rush to finish.  I finished the last line about 30 seconds before the play started.  I LOVED the end of the book and the performance.  I didn't expect the reaction I had, though.  The character who touched me the most this time around was Fantine.  Being a mother myself now, I related to her character on a whole different level.  Every time that character opened her mouth I would find myself choking up.  Especially at the end when she comes to receive Jean Valjean and says that he is an Angel of God for caring for her child and that he will be received into heaven for that act alone.  I would feel the same way about someone who took in my child if I was unable to care for him.

Anyway, we were talking about Fantine and Gabe overheard us and decided "Fantine" was a pretty amazing word.  For the rest of the day, he couldn't stop talking about Fantine.  That night in his prayers he said "Thank You" for Fantine.

Another person Gabe thanked God for is Aunt Clarissa, although he calls her "Kissa."  She was so nice to the boys and they loved her.  She even shared her birthday pinata with them.  She brought it all the way from San Diego so that they could crack it open with her. Thanks Kissa!




Following the wonderful Cedar City stop, we journeyed on to Heber, Utah, for an extended Hulme Family reunion at Heber Valley Campground.  Uncle John did a great job of planning everything and we had a wonderful time.  Here is the whole group together:
Dave wasn't sure how he felt about the navy blue and white color scheme, but he was a good sport and put on a green shirt.

1 comment:

  1. He was also good enough to stand in the back so his Utah necklace wouldn't be so noticeable... ;)

    ReplyDelete